Mike Belsito is the co-founder of the INDUSTRY Conference (a conference specifically for product managers), Product Collective, is a former startup founder and director.
Between talking about delicious Italian food, socks, and dating advice, Mike shared a lot of unexpected insights, including:
- how conference speakers are selected (and some of Mike’s advice for landing a spot on stage)
- how to convince your boss to let you go to a cool event (don’t worry, we’ve got links to examples below)
- the 2 docs you should prepare for your boss to show the ROI of an event (eg: if you just had to convince them to pay for you to go)…don’t worry, templates are below.
- how to effectively network even if you’re an introvert (or a “social introvert” like Mike and me)
- unique tactics to get the attention of high-profile speakers (i.e.: and what Tim Ferriss recommends for getting his attention at events)
- the worst advice Mike sees given out about attending events
- which 3 questions to ask yourself if you’re unsure as to whether an event is worthwhile to attend
- how learn which events your competition will be at, how to learn about new competitors (and how events can help you with competitive intelligence)
Selected Links from the episode
- How to convince your boss to let you go to a cool event (here are some example pages from conferences that you can repurpose/tweak for any other event)
- 2 docs to show your boss/team after attending a conference – Mike explains (Making the Most out of Events – presentation)
- Happy Socks (which are my favorite funky sock brand. Here’s where to buy them in the US)
- Product Collective
- Industry Conference (I bugged Mike and got Product Radio listeners a discount — just use coupon code ProductRadio50 for $50 off)
- Rocketship.fm (Mike’s podcast, which inspires tens of thousands of entrepreneurs each week)
The challenge (more details in the episode)
- Make a list of your business/product/career goals for the next year
- Find events that could help you with these goals
If you liked this episode, I’d love it if you could share it with a colleague in product. Just use the share buttons below.
Have guest suggestions or want to let me know what you thought of this episode? Email me at Ryan@ProductRadio.co